How to Handle Summer Vacation with Chronic Pain
Enjoy a Pain-Free Summer in Milwaukee with Prolotherapy!
With summer vacation finally here, now is the perfect time to say goodbye to chronic pain. If you have a fun vacation planned in a far off destination, you don’t want to be suffering the entire time. Neurology & Pain Treatment of Milwaukee has gathered some helpful tips for reducing the amount of pain you experience while traveling.
Tips to a Pain-Free Vacation
- Remember to stay hydrated – Drink plenty of water during your trip to reduce the symptoms of your pain. Avoid caffeine drinks like soda and coffee which can cause you to become more dehydrated.
- Inform the airline, travel agency, or hotel of your condition. You will most likely be able to receive special accommodations to keep you comfortable throughout your trip.
- Ask for a wheelchair at the airport, even if you do not normally need one. Even a short flight could cause your pain to increase from the lack of movement and changes in pressure. Have a wheelchair standing by at the terminal gate, especially if you have to catch a connecting flight. You don’t want to be stranded on your vacation because of your chronic pain.
- Stretch while traveling. Whether you’re flying or driving, avoid staying in one position for too long. Get out of your seat or car whenever possible to stay limber and prevent pain from stiffness.
- Changes in air pressure from storms or temperature changes can cause chronic pain or headaches to intensify. Check the weather ahead of time and prepare backup plans for your itinerary.
- Take your time and do not rush. While you might want to see everything on your vacation, it is important to know the limits of your body to avoid causing more pain. If you begin to feel sore or tired, take a break to prevent wearing yourself out.